Monday, May 11, 2009

To "cron" in Perl

My first (and to date only) attempt at releasing a Perl module into the wild (a.k.a. CPAN) was the poorly named and implemented Catalyst::Engine::JobQueue::POE. Why poorly named? Well, it has nothing to do with batch processing and job queues. What it does is allow you to run predefined HTTP requests for your Catalyst application at periodic intervals (a la cron). As for the poor implementation, it has only some basic features and it's based on the POE Catalyst engine which is deprecated today. So it's a pretty sorry excuse for a cron replacement and, need I say?, highly NOT recommended.
Despite this minor setback, I have not abandoned the idea of writing a task scheduler in Perl. Therefore I'm starting a new project to implement cron and at functionality. It's a good pretext to practice Moose (and try out MooseX::* extensions) and IOC-style programming.
Because I have no chance to beat the unix cron implementation in regards to performance, I've chosen to focus on flexibility, extensibility and Perl specific integration (like Catalyst integration).

No comments:

Post a Comment